Bitterballen are an awesome Dutch snack. Me and my wife are living in the US and we didn’t couldn’t find any similar in the supermarkets. My wife made the bitterballen all by herself, just for my birthday.
It is time consuming, so it is better to start at least 1 day in advance before frying the “bitterballen”. You can create a lot of them and put them in the freezer
Start at least 1 day in advance before you want to eat the bitterballen.
- 1/2 hour – Prepare the ingredients
- 3 hours – Boiling bouillon
- 1 night – Cooling down of the bouillon
- 10 min- Making Roux – Filling
- 1/2 hour – Making round balls
- 4 hours – Freeze the Bitterballen
- 5 Min – Deep Fry the Bitterballen
To get to the final result, there are three parts of preparation. Each part do have their own ingredients.
- 1.25 lbs Beef
- 2 oz Leek
- 2 oz Carrot
- 2 oz Onion
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 1/2 oz Butter
- 3 oz Flour
- 2 Egg Yolks
- Some mustard
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3 Egg white
Step by Step
To have a very nice authentic flavor, start with creating a bouillon.
Put all the ingredients and water in a pan.
Boil for at least 3-4 hours on a low fire.
Put the pan a night in the fridge. The next morning filter the soup and remove all vegetable.
Remove the meat and create very small pieces.
Creating the Roux for the filling
The basis of the roux is the bouillon. You only need 2 1/2 cups. The rest you can use to create more bitterballen or a nice soup.
Start by melting the butter. Don’ t put the fire too high. Take care the butter won’t turn brown. Put the flour together with the butter and mix is softly. After 2-3 minutes on a small fire, when it’s a smooth paste, slowly add the bouillon and mix it bit by bit. This is the hardest part. Make sure there are no pieces in it. It should be smooth.
Let it boil for about 3 minutes until everything is ready. It won’t taste any floury anymore.
Before adding the rest of the ingredients, have it cool down.
Now you can add everything together and mix it with a sppon.
Here is the end result of the filling of the bitterbal. If the taste is great, you’re done for now. If not, you still can adjust the flavors in it.
Put it for at least 3 hours in the fridge just to be sure it is cold.
Create some balls of about 1 1/2″ diameter.
Now you can put the ball into the flour, then the egg white and finally in the Panko Bread Crumbs.
Put the bitterballen in the freezer for about an hour.
When the bitterballen are frozen, you can fry them in a deep fryer pan at 350 fahrenheir.
Becareful when you eat them. It can be really hot inside. This is how the end result should look like.
About 5 bitterballen with mustard is enough for 1 persons. So if you have a party with 30 peopel, have fun creating the 150 bitterballen 🙂
You can eat the bitterballen with mustard.
Enjoy the bitterballen. I really really really really really did 🙂
Here are some other posts about Food:
- Awesome Bitterballen Recipe!Bitterballen are an awesome Dutch snack. Me and my wife are living in the US and we didn’t couldn’t find any similar in the supermarkets. My wife made the bitterballen all by herself, just for my birthday. Ingredients It is time consuming, so it is better to start at least 1 day in advance before
- Dutch “Vietnamese Loempia”You see them in every Dutch city, on every market and there are always people buying it. “Vietnamese Loempia’s”. But are those Loempia’s really Vietnamese or is it just a product that is created for the Dutch people? Lumpia, Egg rolls, Spring rolls When you search the internet to find out where it all started,
- Pancake without carbs !To stabalize my sugarlevels, I am eating not much carbs. Now I do love pancakes, but they are filled with carbs. Here’s a recipe with less carbs ! Eggs and Banana ! The recipe is very easy. You will need 2 eggs and 1 banana. The mix it together. and then put them in a